over four decades, streetcars provided transportation service to
residents and visitors of Huntington. Electric rail cars began operating
in the Huntington area in 1889. In 1907 the Ohio Valley Electric
Railway Company developed the 3rd Avenue line, extending it from
32nd Street across the new Guyandotte River bridge to Buffington
Street (Bridge Street is, practically speaking, a section of 3rd
Avenue). But that was just a small part of the company's growth
as it tried to tie Huntington, Ashland and Ironton together with
its public transportation system.
In 1913, two long
sections of the east-west line through Huntington were double-tracked,
the downtown loop had been enlarged and the Ritter Park line opened
to traffic as far as Spring Hill Cemetery.
in Ashland had been expanded, and passing sidings had been installed
at several locations between the two cities.
had a first-class interurban route, offering a three-hour round
trip every 30 minutes. Cars usually ran from 5 a.m. to midnight,
but sometimes continued through the night in the winter to keep
tracks clear of snow. Buses began replacing streetcars on the system
in 1925. The last run available to Huntington operated from Guyandotte
to Vernon Street in the West End. Nov. 7, 1937 was the last time
a street car ran in Huntington. Some speculate that the 1937 Flood
may have something to do with its closure.